On January 29, 1940 a public meeting of citizens of Westfield was held to
discuss the possibility of providing the town with a library. A representative
of the State Library who was present suggested a motion be made to organize a
public library association. This was done, trustees were nominated and elected.
Rooms were rented in the Odd Fellows Hall (see picture - courtesy of the
Westfield Historical Society).
With the help of the
women's club, Le Cercle Moderne, in securing members;
the American Legion in collecting books and gifts; shelving and an insurance
policy, the project was under way.
By the end of a year the original site was outgrown, and the library was
moved to its present location on Maple Street.
In 1946 it was decided
to buy a permanent site. By 1949 enough money had been raised for a
down payment of $ 3,000. The balance was loaned by a member of the
community. The library was incorporated as a non-profit organization
in June of that year.
Through the years the library has undergone extensive interior and
exterior remodeling. The latest project was completed in 2001 when a
new children's room was built on.
The Westfield Public Library is a member of thePotter-Tioga Library System,
the only two-county system in Pennsylvania.